Browse more maps...
Browse more movies...
Well, this was my most epic fortress to date, but I'm forced to abandon due to design flaws. I'll keep my saves just in case.
* Large, external constructions are difficult to manage with my limited experience. Need to focus smaller, then expand outwards. Maybe a long external wall with to a tower for external defense.
* Balancing external construction efforts with fortress defense needs.
* Farming is mildly important, but little more than a single plot is needed for an early fortress. Food and meat can be plentiful through trade. Plan for below ground irrigation and place priority on getting underground farming up and running over the outdoors.
* Forges for metal crafting need to begin ASAP.
* Mining and masonry need to begin ASAP.
* Military training should begin as soon as the first migrant waves arrive.
* Get a road up ASAP.
Yes, but for some reason the "dust" isn't shaking off. It's been a while since I've come back to DF. :) I'm two years in and I keep on making silly mistakes... The outer wall should at least funnel the enemies in for a while until I can build the official entrance. Ramps on the cliffside are being removed and the walls will continue up to block off any attacks from behind.
[Message edited on 2009/05/20 at 01:48 by schm0]
Those spiky towers in the northwest portion of your map are very peculiar. But, then again, I typically play on much less steep areas. I'm assuming you don't have giant cave spiders, and just the regular kind?
Test it out on traps and damage. :) Good to know about bridges, though.
I think bridge speed is dependent on weight, not mechanisms.
What biome is this?
Stonecrafting, well... gets rid of stones. The more the better, or in this case, the less the better.
An excellent suggestion. Sounds good to me... but I'm not sure what plans there are for my Z-Level +1 at the moment... Most likely such an idea would not interfere.
95% of it was dirt, and the stone you see is the only stone that has been mined. It is currently being turned into stone crafts and blocks, which is what I do with all stone at the beginning of the game.
The entire entranceway will have to be paved. Once I find several different colors of rock, I'll be making some sort of cool design to throw in there. In the meantime, I'll have to pave over and then remove the floor for the lakes that were drained. I'll also have to refloor the top of the lakes and wall them off from this entrance.
Browse more map comments...
::shrug:: I guess I didn't need this space after all!