Welcome to the Archive
Welcome to the Dwarf Fortress Map Archive (DFMA). Dwarf Fortress is a popular single player sim game, (still in ALPHA mind) made by bay12games.
Overkill Finale- DWARF HAET CAT
Yikes, look at those kills scroll! 38 dwarfs lost, and pretty much every one of the survivors has mauled faces due to a current raw bug that makes head armor not protect the face. Otherwise, they killed all of the remaining cats. - Darkone
This here website is a repository and online viewer for player created maps exported from the game. The site revolves around an optimized file format (.FDF-MAP), which can produce files 1/2000th the size of the ouputted bitmaps (for a 28 layer map) and 1/20th the size of equivalent PNG files. This makes them small enough to upload and transfer across the web without chewing up bandwidth. God forbid someone trying to upload the 150MB output file from a midsize fort, we can deliver exactly the same map for ~100kb!.
How to use this site
This site is for uploading and sharing (viewing) maps from Dwarf Fortress with your friends, family etc.. I'm sure you'll figure it out.
First I suggest you download SL's DF Map Compressor. Then do what the diagram says:
Also look out for Points of Interest; created by users of the archive, each map can have a navigatable list places that describe the fortress or world.
Maps archived for another year. Ban list updated to include some new words. Continued thanks goes out to dedicated reporters for finding and identifying spam.
Err, so its been a while, but here's an update!
Good news - hosting for the site has been renewed for another two years, that'll bring mkv25.net up to 2015!, and means that the site has been running for 11 years now.
CMV Editor source code now available on Github: https://github.com/Markavian/CMV-Editor. Any budding C# developers out there who want a tinker, go right ahead. All the solution files, IO encoder/decoder classes, and timeline component are there to be tinkered with.
And lastly, thanks to all the spam reporters who help keep the site clean of ANKFSL$52LFSDFS, "Nice blog", and shoe adverts, your help is much appreciated.
Fixed bug with PoI links not working on maps with a default PoI set. Thanks to hyndis for reporting the bug; completely missed it.
Movie update, RE: "Movies no longer record properly, at least in the SDL versions. The recorded files have no content at all, consisting of single frames."
(0013891) Toady One (administrator) 2010-11-15 13:59 This should be fixed for 0.31.18.
Get out there and make more movies!
Added feature to look for a Default point of interest in other maps in the same series if one is not defined. Should help people who upload multiple maps and don't want to have to set a default point of interest for every map entry. Thanks to Rhenaya for sitting me down and sorting this out for me.
Also; increased the max file size for map uploads to 1 MiB for registers users, and 628 KiB for non-registered users.
Do not upload movies recorded with 0.31.12 non-legacy, because they don't work at all. This error has already been reported in the tracker, bug 2489
- the movie files are corrupt and will display blank when uploaded to the DFMA movie player.
- Added the site to a local SVN so that I can track changes and revisions
- Added Planned
Changes section to the development / news page
- The favourites page now correctly
groups maps across their histories, giving a truer picture of the most favourite
- I've added created a Random Movie picker, similar to the Random Point of
Interest box, and moved the box on the front page to top right corner.
- Received word that Safari on the Mac also has problems uploading fdf-map
files, as does Google Chrome - I know what the problem is but am unwilling
at present to reduce the security on uploads. I am somewhat dissapointed with
Safari and Google Chrome for breaking my site.
- Added [+] symbol to Upload Map and Upload Movie on site links.
- Happy new year everyone!
- The 10,000th
point of interest was posted not so long ago.
if you enter in an End Year, thanks to Shurikane
for this suggestion.
- Reminder: For "open ended" Point of Interest sharing, you just
need to check the PoI Sharing box.
- Fixed bug with 's breaking map and movie uploads, appologies to Vetarnian
for discovering this one.
- Roll on 2009...
- ... and I hope no one minds, I've tweaked the stylesheet to give the site
- Added a user profile page, for example: SergiusMaximus
- Name links around the site, on comments, maps, and recent activity will now take you to a user profile page showing stats and recent posts by that user.
- This is a good way to find out more about different users on the archive, whether they are registered, what their favourites are, and what their recent activity has been.
- Uploaded new version of CMV Flash Player (again, thanks to gonbon)
- Flash player now resizes itself to support larger
movies (width and height) recorded with the new release of Dwarf
- Removed endless list of movies alongside ungrouped movie clips.
- If you enter in the name of the fort or the world a clip was recorded when
you upload then movies with the same name will be grouped
- Added report problem page/form for registered users to send messages to
myself and the moderators
- Links to the page can be found on the left "Report
problem / contact" or from below map entries "(Report problem)"
- Feel free to use this form to report spam or to send any feedback and suggestions
- Fixed bug on movie comments page where page 2 and beyond directed to the
map comments page (thanks to Zaratustra)
Read previous entries
Thanks to SL for his great DF map encoder/compressor, without which I would not have had the inspiration to build this site. Also thanks to him for modifying his program over and over to get it to work with my Flash viewer.
The Flash map viewer was created by Markavian, aka John Beech. An avid fan of DF and computer programming. Markavian has been working with web technologies such as PHP, MySQL and Flash for over 6 years, in an effort to make the web a more useful place.
- SL's website:
(shadowlord13.googlepages.com) - DF Map Compressor, Readme
- The DF Wiki: (dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com)
- Best DF documentation on the net, a huge help
- Bay12Games: (bay12games.com)
- Official forums, updates, dev news, and other fun games!
- Strike the Earth: (striktheearth.com)
- Original DF Comic artwork
- DF File Depot: (dffd.wimbli.com)
- Mods, utilities, tilesets, graphicsets, save files
- Markavian's website: (mkv25.net) -
Graphics, experimental stuff, exploration
- Caek: (mkv25.net/caek/) - The
cake is not a lie
Map Archive discussion: (bay12games.com) - Discussion about the map
archive can be found here